Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Burger King Christianity


I created this piece of art last year. I was just in a mood where the ‘King’s Kids’ and ‘Bless Me Club’ mentality of the mighty Christians was getting on my last nerve. Where was the humility, the giving and the true heart of Christ? When did Paul say he was exalted on the throne while he was here on this earth?

I had a pastor friend look at the picture and just smile. She finally let it be told that I should not really promote that picture along with the rest of my art because it was too sarcastic. I let that sink in for a bit. Sarcastic?

Satirical, maybe. Truthful, definitely. However, not sarcastic. I wasn’t mocking anyone. I was using ‘wit to attack the vices and follies of humankind’.

I know that some of us high and mighty Christians want to think we are above the rest of humanity in our ability to have vices and follies but we are the same. That is why the picture was created. The attitude that Christians are above the world’s mentality- that we are above others in our thinking and actions is preposterous! We are as vile and wicked. We just have found the Mediator to plead our cause. We have the blood on our side. It is not meant to justify our sins but hopefully it is potent enough that if we search for the truths it has for our lives then we can apply it liberally when we fall humbly before the throne of the one that shed it for us.

Oh living God, have mercy on me the wretched sinner that I am. Never let me become so full of ‘my’ Christianity that I lose track of the humility you are trying to produce in me. Create in me a pure heart to see others as you see them. Not full of pride of life or religious functions. Give me a heart after yours alone. Let my life become a blessing to you Lord.

No comments: