Saturday, March 3, 2007

A 22-Foot White 'Golden Calf'?

We went for a ride today and ended up at the Mother Cabrini Shrine. I have driven past it for almost 15 years but never went up the mountain to see what it was. I had heard rumors in the past about apparitions there and the pilgrimages by the ‘faithful’.

As we ascended the mountain there were a few non-descript buildings. Further along there was a church. We parked and began to walk. There were small, medium and larger statues everywhere of Mary, Joseph and Jesus and then there was ‘the’ statue at the top of the mountain of Jesus. It stands 22 feet tall.

The 373 steps upward were covered in snow and not visible. There was a rope and a sign that said that they were taking donations to keep the road safe or something to that effect.

Pictures of Mother Cabrini were everywhere. There was a spring where I later researched was where she must have thought she was like Moses and hit a stick against the rock and a spring burst forth. The water had been tapped; there is seating and plenty of paper cups available if you wanted to drink. Research says that there is spiritual power in the waters. There was a limit of only a gallon per family.

In the process of Mother Cabrini becoming a saint, she was beatified, canonized and venerated. The saints mentioned in the New Testament 61 times refer to those that have professed Christ. Simply put.

I was taking pictures of the statues. One was of Mary with three little cherubim at her feet. A man that was possibly a worker on the property stopped and asked if I wanted my picture with her. Inside I was a bit stunned. His inflections were almost as if he were speaking of God himself, Deity in person. I turned and politely declined. Of course, it got me thinking.

Has Mary surpassed the greatness of Jesus? Did folks really think that a 22-foot statue of Jesus on top of Lookout Mountain was really Jesus watching over Denver? How can one have a living relationship with a statue? That is a lot of superstition going on and a lot of religious hullabaloo.

I am so glad that I have the Spirit of the living God within me. I don’t have to worry if I forgot my medal, statue or artifact in the midst of everything I daily do.

Sincerely,
Saint Dawn

I would that God were laughing at me, yet I fear He is crying. ~ DMA

No comments: