Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Vain Repetitions?


I recently received a prayer book in the mail… quite by accident. I clicked on a button on a web page that I thought was going to show me these prayers or give me something to read. Instead, about two days later a book shows up in the mail. (I must have put in my address via a quick click but not realizing why).

I was indoctrinated into the Pentecostal/Charismatic church a couple of decades ago. I got involved in all sorts of unbiblical and extra-biblical practices having to do with various styles of prayer. I used to have many books that would detail prayers to pray for any kind of ailment. Of course, there is the popular Prayers That Avail Much by Germaine Copeland. I think it introduced folks into being able to pray according to scripture. It was very helpful to me at the beginning of my walk with Christ.

The book I received in the mail reminded me of some of the books I previously used passionately. To give an example from this book, they have one called the ‘Comprehensive Daily Prayer.’ It reads: I ask You to forgive us for all our sins, iniquities, trespasses, transgressions, sins of commission, sins of omission and any other sins that are listed on page 25. Then it reads like an alphabetical laundry list of possible sins listing almost 100 possibilities! Wow!

I am so glad when the disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray he was very simple. In Luke 11:2-4 Jesus gives the example of prayer being: When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

This prayer is repeated in Matthew 6:4 but interestingly enough it is quickly followed by these words in verses 5-8: And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly. But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not therefore like unto them: for your Father knows what things you have need of, before you ask him.

How so very religious and righteous of me to think it was just the Catholics or Jews that prayed in vain repetitions. The Protestants are equally guilty.

Forgive us Lord for being so religious. Forgive us for adding and taking away from your words. Give us a heart to simply love you.

(Side note: As you can tell from the piece for art I created that I pegged only the Catholics of vain repetitions. Forgive me.)

No comments: