Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Creative Blogging for Points!

I read other peoples blogs trying to figure out the concepts and purposes. I have noticed that there seem to be two different blog ‘camps’. I am sure there are more but in my short time of research, this is what I see for now.

Most people are either trying to maintain decorum, positive thinking, and bright flashy ‘writing’ or just write absolutely anything that comes to mind that... gee just came to mind.

This blogging seems to do with one’s own independent thoughts regardless of what anyone else thinks and that is fine. We have constitutional rights to say and write anything. I think they call it free speech.

Then there are those who are writing for points. They get invisible bonus points for how many comments they can solicit, how many visitors they can attract, or how many times someone else links to them as one of their favorite blogs. Creating artistic blogging titles helps is what I am noticing.

I see some folks writing in a specific fashion to generate answers and to create more flow. There are the one’s that are looking extremely popular because they have stuff on it that is getting folks attention like their sex life, their woes and their daily life rituals.

I know that when I go to the pages on Blogstream and view by popularity there really doesn’t seem to have any consistency. I would think that the ones with the most blogs would rate highest, followed by the ones with the most comments to their blogs or even the page visited the most often. I was listed on page four even though for about two pages before me most had seemed to only write 2-3 total blogs and fewer comments. So who knows?

Why am I blogging? I am trying to compile the thoughts of my relearning. I am trying to put things in order. I have always written but I am finally making some of it public not necessarily for public promotion but possibly as a stepping-stone to future writing.

Mostly I am looking for like-minded folks. I am curious to see if I am the only one that God is taking through this journey. I know it is a different journey and I am being criticized by friends for not doing it the way they do. Nevertheless, I am not in this for approval ratings from anyone. If in the process, I find others that are also on the journey out of religion then that will be prize enough.

7 comments:

California Girl said...

I started my blog to just get out some thoughts that I have had for so long. It has become cathartic for me. While I don't have much to say some days, there are others that the stream of words just pours through me and comes out my fingertips. I do it for me and not to necessarily have others read what I say. If they do, then, well, I have put myself out there for someone to meet. Its all good.

Damale' said...

Thanks for stopping by, Hope you will return.There are days when it wants to pour, pour, pour out but I know it could be very overwhelming for someone to actaully read what is going through my head! So I temper myself and try to write smarter and more proficiently.

Ben said...

I think there's some interactive expectation, even if you only think family is reading. My wife gets bummed sometimes when she sees vistors and no comments because she wants the feedback, she wants the sense of a shared experience. I know I am less and less enthused about playing exhibitionist if I know everyone else has stopped playing voyeur.

Damale' said...

Well Ben, I stepped beyond myself this week and let it all hang out. I actually put the link under my signature on my emails so now everyone and anyone that remotely knows me has the chance to read my random ramblings! Agh! How scary was that. I post on three different sites. If you know my story, it is helping me to remember through repetition how to access different pages with different expectations. Not quite getting me back to HTML but closer. Today on one of the other pages, I had a guy write a comment saying he is reading but just doesn't comment much. He said he didn't like to write the basic, ‘hey great post' so he just reads. But he left a cool comment. That was sweet and rewarding to know someone is reading my stuff.

I am curious? How does one see visitors on this blog site?

Ben said...

here's something i didn't know until just now, you have to add some code to your blog to get the visitor stats

you can find out more at http://www.evostats.com

Damale' said...

Thanks Ben. I do have one from Bravenet attached but I wasn't sure if there was another way or not. I will check out your link.Thanks again. Love your blog. You are in Thornton area?

Ben said...

greeley