Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Quick Fixes to Break Your Heart

I was sprucing up the house this morning for company. I already have company but more was coming. Most around me tend to call me a clean freak. I used to be Quality Control for the largest janitorial service in Colorado. Still I wouldn’t consider myself a freak about it. I am certainly anal about some things. Does cleaning come before friends, family or the Lord? NO! I just try to schedule my time and because I am so fast, I can be done in less than half the time most could do it. That actually frees up my time. And I am actually a lot slower in my aging years!

I wanted things to smell nice so I was spraying down the bedspread and pillows and carpets. I had a wild thought. What if we never had to wash things and we could just perpetually spray them with good smells. My second thought was… yuck! Then I realized that there are folks out there that do that.

There used to be a product that you could spray in your hair instead of washing it! I think it was around in the 70’s. It was like a powder that was supposed to absorb the oils and give you the ‘just clean’ look. I don’t think the product was a big enough of a hit to have gone long.

We folks do that with our lives, religious and social. We tend always to be looking for the easy way out - the quickest way to accomplish something. A 20 ounce double shot caramel macchiato with whole milk is easier to buy the wife than to reach in the deep reserves of the heart and give her a piece of your sincerest affections. Sometimes letting the husband buy the new toy is easier than the wife having to relinquish herself in the bedroom. Praying the rosary twenty times is easier than letting Jesus have full control over every portion of your life for his glory.

Some call it ‘instant gratification’. Little kids know it as ‘Now!’ McDonald’s made a profit from it. People just don’t want to get profound, go long, persevere, be reflective, or live passionately without sin.

While our salvation was procured for us, there is still lots we need to ‘do’ in order to keep out hearts in the proper mode to continually hear the Shepherds voice.

My first prayer is that I would desire to go long, persevere, get profound, be passionately reflective, remember the price that was paid for me, and be still enough to always hear the voice of my Shepherd. My second prayer is that would be your prayer also.

No comments: