Monday, March 12, 2007

What's in a Name?


Proverbs 22:1 says, A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

I know a woman that had a baby girl and named her Ava. Pretty name. But I wonder if when she was choosing names did she ponder them based on them being cutesy for a baby, a good name for a child or if it would become a solid name for an adult? Some names are great baby names but do not fit well for adults and vice-versa. How does one choose a name for a bundle of joy that will grow up to be a 250 lb. lumberjack?

I lived in Tennessee for a few years and it seemed like ‘everyone’ was named Bubba. There was uncle Bubba, cousin Bubba, and brother Bubba. Bubba was your neighbor, the dogcatcher, the repairman and your pastor. Then I discovered my daughter started to use Bubba for a nickname for my grandson! And they have never lived in Tennessee! I begged her not to do that! ‘Oh but it is sooo cuuute Mom!’ NO it’s NOT!

A name is something we have to live with for life but it should not define who we are. Being called by the name of Christian should define who we are. A lot of folks think of religion, hypocrisy and a whole slew of other bad things when they hear you go by the name of Christian. It brings to mind others they met by that name and you are automatically thrown into the group before your mouth even opens or your actions can say different.

Do folks choose the name of Christian because it seems cute, good or solid? Do they go by the name Christian because they want to go to heaven, enjoy the socializing, need the structure, feel obligated, or perhaps their family has been Christians for generations?

Personally, I try not to use the name Christian when describing what I believe. The word has seemed to have lost its meaning and become an extremely watered down version of who Christ really was. I can be a Christ-follower but then I sort of feel like I should belong to a hippy commune. What name could I use that would set me apart from the typical Christian so that folks would know that I am trying to be more than just a religious cliché?

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. ~ Colossians 3:17

2 comments:

Ben said...

i cor 3:9, and of course, the accompanying passage

i think you can say Christian even if the name is often misused because Jesus told us it would be our love for one another that would distinguish us from the world and it is that love we bear that will really identify us

i john 4:8

Damale' said...

My continued prayer is that his love would show through me in a way that others could truly see.Thanks Ben.